I believe in your creative power. I believe it can help you tune into who you truly are... Who you're meant to be. And I believe this will change the world.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

2011 Project Highlights


Mandalas from my art journal
I'm taking a look back at my 2011 creative pursuits and feel so satisfied. First off, the past year has marked a true creative awakening for me. In the decade of design work I have to look back on, I started to notice that some aspects of my creativity were actually falling asleep. It had something to do with the computer always making everything so perfect. Yet early last year I stumbled into an art supply store and got stopped in my tracks by the cover of the book Journal Spilling by Diana Trout. It's a mixed media journaling book, whose cover, true to form, was a messy, grungy and yet fantastic display of all that was missing from my creative pursuits: truth. Yes, it's true that sometimes life is messy, and Diana's book showed me how to express my own mess in a more authentic way, free from the digital constraints. I guess you can say I went analog in 2011. And I'm grateful for it.


Everything in the universe is within you." mixed media spread from my art journal

I also felt new inspirations in my graphic design projects as well. I got to do a variety of projects from web, to mouse pads, to wall sized booth displays. It's been fun. Here are a few faves.

Trade show booth for SpaFinder
SpaFinder "Spa Rah Rah" Party Collateral
SpaFinder Holiday Campaign
"breathe" mouse pad design for SpaFinder


And on a personal graphic design front, I got to design a holiday card with my dog Sniffle {which included a really fun photo shoot}and a few projects to celebrate my grandfather's 90th birthday. First, an invitation to his party, and second a book of his memoirs, whose cover seemed to really hit the mark. I love how it symbolizes his physical life by being a close up of his heart, but also his life's accomplishments, by simultaneously showing his army medals. The title of his book is simply "Notes From Life." This was perhaps the most meaningful project I've ever worked on.


"Notes From Life" Cover Design
An invitation to my grandfather's 90th birthday party.